... cut ...

> You still can't really "background" the process the way you can on *nix.
> Sure, you can get your
> command-prompt back, but if you kill cmd.exe, so does your child process die.
> And if you log out,
> that process dies as well.

The problem is different: redirecting stderr and stdout does not redirect in
this scenario
(employing %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\startup.bat), rather output statements to stderr
(System.err.println(...)) and stdout (System.out.println(...)) gets still
displayed in the Tomcat
window.

This involves (at least in my experiments) editing bin\startup.bat and/or
bin\catalina.bat which
should not be necessary if understanding Tomcat's philsophy correctly. If
adjustments are necessary
it is advised to supply a "bin\setup.bat" script to do so.

So what I would be looking for is either a configuration change or an
environment variable to set
which allows redirecting stdout and stderr to appropriate log files as is done
with the service
version by default.

> Using the Windows Service is really the best way to do it on Windows.

The use case is testing Tomcat 10 in various ways, including running it in
debug mode and attaching
via IntelliJ for inspection.

---rony