On 4/15/22 10:37 AM, Christopher Schultz (on the Tomcat Users' List) wrote:
. . .
if "localhost" doesn't resolve to 127.0.0.1 on your system, you may get this error. Can you quickly check it's not a DNS resolution failure?

THIS is interesting.

If I look at the host table entries, I see
   ::1                 IPV6-LOOPBACK
                       IPV6-LOCALHOST
   127.0.0.1           LOOPBACK
                       LOCALHOST

Now if I ping '127.0.0.1' on this box, I get a normal response.

If I ping localhost on our box, or another customer box, I get
Verifying connection to host system LOOPBACK at address 127.0.0.1.

followed by a normal response.

But if I ping localhost or loopback on this box, I get
Verifying connection to host system LOOPBACK.<redacted> at address <redacted; NOT
127.0.0.1>.
or
Verifying connection to host system LOCALHOST.<redacted> at address <redacted; NOT
127.0.0.1>.

Somehow, this box is DISREGARDING ITS OWN HOST TABLE!

--
JHHL