David,

On 4/29/22 15:24, David Cleary wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2022 12:16 PM
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Testing Tomcat pre-releases

David,

(Replying to the Tomcat users@ list)

On 4/28/22 08:45, David Cleary wrote:
Hi Chris. We have spoken over the years at various Apachecons. In one
of your presentations, you talked about smoke testing Tomcat pre-releases.
We just got bitten by a regression in 9.0.62, and the team that is
responsible for updating it is interested in the details on doing this.
Can you give me details on where we would pick up pre-release builds
and what mailing list we should monitor and report any issues.

Sure.

Briefly, the release process goes like this[1]:

last-minute
commits or conversations. This often doesn't happen because we have a
release-cadence that follows a rough schedule of prep-and-release around the
beginning of each month.

2. Tag the release + prepare a release candidate build. This is a formal process
which results in a vote.

3. Declare a vote on Tomcat x.y.z for a [VOTE] thread posted to the dev@
mailing list. Here is your opportunity to give feedback on the release.
(See below). Information about where to get the release candidates is available
in that [VOTE] message.

4. Assuming the [VOTE] passes, the release is promoted from "candidate"
to "official release", distributed to mirrors, and announced.

So, how can you participate in #3 above?

Well, the release candidate includes all the binary artifacts from a regular
release, so you can use it just as you would usually use a "real" release. You
can
also build it from source as you always could, etc.

The "Getting Started Hacking Tomcat" presentation[2] contains some
information about how to build from source, run the unit-tests, etc. if you'd
like
some guidance.

If you find a bug and are able to contribute a test-case for us to include in
our
test process, that would be great: it will prevent the bug from coming-back as a
regression in the future.

Simply reply to the [VOTE] thread with any concerns you may have, or, if
everything is great, we'd love to have your "+1 to release" vote as well.
Technically speaking, non-PMC-members don't have a binding vote, but I have
never seen a vote move-forward in spite of legitimate negative community
feedback. If something is wrong with the release, we'll cancel it, the fix
issue,
and repeat the process with a new release candidate (and version number).

Let us know if you have any questions.

-chris

Thanks Chris. Is this where we can expect the pre-releases to show up?

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/tomcat/tomcat/

No, you should expect them to show up here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/ (for Tomcat 8)

There's nothing there, now, because it's been promoted to released, here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/tomcat-8/

There is a directory like that for each of the current releases (10.1, 10.0, 9.0, 8.5). The [VOTE] message to the dev list will contain a link to the binaries proposed for release.

Have a look at the history of [VOTE] emails here:

https://lists.apache.org/list?d...@tomcat.apache.org:lte=1M:[VOTE]%20release

One issue I've run into is that our Gradle builds use the Windows 32
and 64 bit zip files since we ship with the commons-daemon
executable. Don't really know where or Artifactory gets those from.
Are those available in staging somewhere before release?
Yep. The "release" directory contains byte-for-byte identical items to whatever was in the "dev" directory during the voting process. So, for example:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.78/bin/apache-tomcat-8.5.78-windows-x86.zip

Hope that helps,
-chris