Thomas,

On 6/30/22 13:52, Thomas Meyer wrote:
Sadly currently Tomcat startup relies on shell script to bootstrap
JVM process.

In the light of distroless images (e.g.
https://blog.chainguard.dev/introducing-apko-bringing-distroless-nirvana-to-alpine-linux/)

What are you thoughts on packaging tomcat in distroless base OCI images that doesn't even contain any shell anymore?

Would it be possible to provide an alternative start mechanism which
directly starts JVM process which setup/prepare env like the current
catalina.sh shell script does?

What are your thoughts on above topic?

Speaking for myself, here, of course.

The Tomcat team doesn't package anything other than the "standard
distributions" such as the source and the pre-built Java binaries, plus
the Windows binaries for various things. We don't package anything
specific like Docker base containers, etc. and I don't think we want to
get into that business.

If someone in the community wants to do something like that: go for it.
But we have enough to do already and don't want to play favorites.

The only reason catalina.sh exists is to figure out what's going on with
the hosting environment. If you want to build a launch-process that is
integrated into a specific environment, then you don't need all that
tooling to figure out what is what: you can just write one big command
line and launch the JVM with all the necessary arguments.

-chris