Multiple WAR files work fine for us. But we don't simply "drop [the WAR files] in the webapps folder (and for the most part, that *doesn't* work for us, even with *only one* webapp).

We always deploy through the Manager webapp (which we always customize to increase the allowable WAR file size by an order of magnitude, every time we update somebody's Tomcat), and there are plenty of installations where we have multiple nearly-identical contexts based on completely identical WAR files (and note that another customization we make when installing Tomcat is to disable re-expansion of WAR files when Tomcat launches, since that would overwrite parameters manually inserted into the contexts after deployment).

--
JHHL