From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2023 2:04 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat 10.1 -- Precedence of catalina.sh jvm Options vs server.xml
options

Chuck,

On 8/9/23 13:58, SCHWING, CHUCK wrote:
> I've looked for the answer to this online and maybe I didn't read closely
> enough.
> I'm running tomcat 10.1 with JDK17.0.6 and have defined a jvm startup option
> of "-Djdk.tls.client.protocols=TLSv1.2" in my copy of catalina.sh and the
> same TLS version is defined in my server.xml in my SSLHostConfig:
> sslProtocol="TLS"
>                      protocols="TLSv1.2"
>
> My question is:  What's the precedence in play?  Does catalina.sh override
> server.xml or is it the other way around?
>
> We need to migrate to TLS1.3 and we're wondering how best to configure Tomcat
> 10 so support TLS1.2 and TLS1.3 while we're migrating.

The system property you have shown above does not affect the behavior of Tomcat
at all. This system property affects Java's built-in TLS *client* when making
/outgoing/ connections.

If you specify "TLSv1.2" and no other protocols, then you will not enable
TLSv1.3. You should specify:

   protocols="TLSv1.3, TLSv1.2"

in your <SSLHostConfig> in order to enable TLSv1.3 and also accept TLSv1.2.
Note that for TLSv1.3 there are other requirements, specifically a JVM with
support if using JSSE or an OpenSSL implementation with support if using
OpenSSL.

-chris