Brian,

On 9/13/23 23:25, Brian Wolfe wrote:
The PKCS12 is the industry standard keystore format. Your mac should be
creating it in that version. You should get familiar using the pkcs12. Its
not difficult to set it up. keytool and openssl support pkcs12 and have for
some time now. Its possible your older keystores are of the storetype JKS
or JCEKS, JKS used to be the default I think back in Java 6. Anything newer
should throw a warning telling you the industry standard is pkcs12. But you
can still open older formats by specifying the "--storetype" option. Your
getting that error because you probably didn't tell it what kind it is and
its default assumption is wrong.

Using a keystore is much better for managing your keys than using PEM
files.

Why?

It's best practice to have seperate stores for keys and for trust.

+1, and using files in PEM format do not preclude this.

by default java has the "cacerts" file for establishing trust.

True, but not terribly relevant.

-chris

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 8:16 PM James H. H. Lampert