We need to shrink the size of catalina.out but looking at the logging
documentation I do not see any way to do this with the standard
logging.properties (or else where).   Due to the nature of the
production site we never bring it completely down unless we must (life
critical 24/7/365)

Specifically we have a fair number of System.out.println's with
debugging information to it and we dumb stack traces into it also.
And without stopping and restarting tomcat we want to make it so there
is periodic rotation of catalina.out to some other file?   (note stack
traces do go to the dated one but not the System.out.println's)