From: "OOzy Pal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Where is my Tomcat

> On 7/25/06, Martin Millnert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> <snip>
>> > Chances are that the Debian tomcat init scripts point to gcj not to the
>> > Sun jdk. It's OK, you can fix that. Try javac -version, it will tell you
>> > about the compiler (which is part of the jdk, not the jre).  Probably
>> > you will find that /usr/bin/java and about half a dozen other
>> > /usr/bin/javax commands including javac and javah are symlinks to the
>> > gcj versions of java somewhere in /usr/lib. So what you need to do is to
>> > change those symlinks to point to the Sun ones, probably in
>> > /usr/share/lib. Some distros have a command which lets you change the
>> > system's version of java (Gentoo does, I'm not sure about Debian)
>> > without manually editing all the symlinks.
>> >
>> <snip>
>>
>> For reference, on a Ubuntu dapper desktop machine, here's how to manage
>> the symlinks:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# which java
>> /usr/bin/java
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ls -al /usr/bin/java*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2006-02-02 15:29 /usr/bin/java
>> -> /etc/alternatives/java
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javac
>> -> /etc/alternatives/javac
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javadoc
>> -> /etc/alternatives/javadoc
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javah
>> -> /etc/alternatives/javah
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2006-03-02 14:25 /usr/bin/javap
>> -> /etc/alternatives/javap
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2006-03-02 14:26 /usr/bin/javaws
>> -> /etc/alternatives/javaws
>>
>> These commands does not have to be run as root, Ubuntu favours not using
>> the root account but sudo instead -- which is how OOzy was working.
>> The above shows and proves that the Ubuntu-style method is in fact in
>> use, and unorthodox methods has not been introduced to the packages. ;)
>> There are clear advantages of managing the JDKs as real packages, and
>> there is plenty of reference on this online:
>> http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=the+correct+way+to+install+sun+java
>> +jdk+on+ubuntu&btnG=S%C3%B6k&meta=
>>
>> Ubuntu (as well as Debian) ships with the update-alternatives program,
>> which manages the symlinks and it is necessary to redirect these if you
>> have installed and are planning on using the Sun JDK.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# update-alternatives --config java
>>
>> There are 5 alternatives which provide `java'.
>>
>>   Selection    Alternative
>>       1        /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/bin/java
>> *     2        /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun/bin/java
>>       3        /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.1
>>       4        /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.0
>>  +    5        /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
>>
>> Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
>>

>> Note that this only configures the `which java`-program. You should
>> point all programs to the same version. At the very least make sure
> [...]
Martin,

$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

$ sudo /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/startup.sh

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

$ /etc/init.d/tomcat5 start
Starting Tomcat 5 servlet engine using Java from /usr/lib/j2se/1.4:

with the following catalina_out log
The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

I get the above error even though JAVA_HOME points to the JDK but
tomcat insists on using /usr/lib/j2se/1.4 not
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/

any help Martin?

--
OOzy