My reasoning was that Apache doesn't catch the 503, but it does catch a
500..

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
------------------------------------
ErrorDocument   500     /notice.html
ErrorDocument   503     /notice.html
------------------------------------

The 500 is caught correctly, but I always end up seeing the tomcat generated
error page for a 503.
I guess this could be a mod_jk or apache issue if you are saying that tomcat
is sending the right status code.

Questions:
 what version of tomcat you running?
 What version of apache?