Thanks all for your advice.
My web.xml has an entry:

!DOCTYPE web-app
   "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

which, I think, caused the error.

I have inserted the line:

<%@ page ... isELIgnored="false" %>

as Pid suggested and the error disappeared.

Thanks a lot.

Thinh

David Smith wrote:

One other possibility -- which servlet spec version do you have specified in your web.xml? If web.xml declares an older version of the servlet spec, these ${} expressions may not be available.

--David

Pid wrote:

which version of tomcat are you using?

is Expression Language enabled? as it looks like it's passing the ${0}
variable as a string rather than evaluating it.

Try setting the following attribute in your JSP 'page' directive.

<%@ page ... isELIgnored="false" %>

Le Nguyen-Thinh wrote:
Dear friends,

I have a JSP which uses following taglibs:

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; %>
<%@ taglib prefix="fn" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/functions"; %>

My JSP contains a piece of code which calls a tag from the taglib above:
<c:forEach begin="${0}" end="${MAX-1}" step="${1}"
var="ind"> <c:set target="${argBean}" property="name"
value="${paramValues.argName[ind]}" />
                   <c:set target="${argBean}" property="type"
value="${paramValues.argType[ind]}" />
                   <c:set target="${argBean}" property="mode"
value="${paramValues.argMode[ind]}" />
                   <c:set target="${argBean}" property="state"
value="${paramValues.argState[ind]}" />
                   <c:set target="${predBean}" property="predArg"
value="${argBean}" />
</c:forEach> The Tomcat server returns following error:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "${0}"
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)

   java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:447)
   java.lang.Integer.valueOf(Integer.java:553)
   org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspUtil.coerceToInt(JspUtil.java:752)

It seems to me that Tomcat could not interpret the JSP. My question is,
do I miss some libraries? Do My application runs on Linux Debian,
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
(j2sdk1.5-sun).
The taglibs jstl.jar and standard.jar stem from
jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.1.2.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thinh