On 8/16/06, Propes, Barry L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Maurice Yarrow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Generally, getRemoteHost() and getRemoteAddr() return
the same value, but I had found a situation during testing
where getRemoteAddr() returned an IP address but
getRemoteHost() returned nothing.  (That was two months
ago, and I can't, at this time, remember the exact
conditions under which this occurred.)

yeah, I've found that, too, although getRemoteHost theoretically
should return the machine name in many cases, but sometimes it won't.

It does't always return a host name because getRemoteHost does a
reverse DNS lookup on the IP address, which doesn't return a hostname
if the DNS servers are either not responding quickly enough or if
there was no reverse hostname assigned to the IP address.

-Dave