From: Marc Farrow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 2:11 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Security constraint/login form

Are you talking about the tomcat-users.xml file and the roles defined in
there?

The security-contraints are pretty flexible and you can use any number of
ways to define your realms.  If you look at the web.xml for the manager
application (that is shipped with Tomcat), you can see how that realm is
defined and used.  You can even use encrypting on the passwords in that
file.  If you don't mind maintaing that file for roles and users, then
just
modify it to fit your needs and change your security contraint for your
web
application to match those roles.  Below is a quick example.  If you are
wanting something for flexible, then you can research and use your
favorite
database for authentication or even your favorite LDAP.  Below is a quick
example of how to use a user-defined role in the tomcat-users.xml file and
how to match it to two different URLS in one web app.

Please understand, this is just a quick example and I do not dare declare
that this will work.  Just a springboard to help you get your feet wet.

tomcat-users.xml:

<tomcat-users>
   <role rolename="role1"/>
   <role rolename="role2"/>
   <user username="user1" password="userpass1" roles="role1,role2"/>
  <user username="user2" password="userpass2" roles="role2"/>
</tomcat-users>

application's web.xml:

<security-constraint>
   <web-resource-collection>
       <web-resource-name>Restrict to role1 and role2/>
       <url-pattern>/welcome.jsp</url-pattern>
   </web-resource-collection>
   <auth-contraint>
      <role-name>role1</role-name>
       <role-name>role2</role-name>
   </auth-contraint>
</security-contraint>

<security-constraint>
   <web-resource-collection>
       <web-resource-name>Restrict to role2 only/>
       <url-pattern>/other.jsp</url-pattern>
   </web-resource-collection>
   <auth-contraint>
      <role-name>role2</role-name>