What I would like, is to be able to put test.jsp in
/var/www/username/public_html or any user created directory in that
directory. I just can't seem to find the key to this. In fact, I can't
even find where tomcat is setting the default directory to
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps.

Your server.xml file contains at least one <Host> element; the
default location for it to find its webapps (<Context>s) is
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps. You can change that by specifying
the appBase, e.g.
  <Host name="example" appBase="/var/www/example"/>

If someone has a good idea about how to do this it would be greatly
appreciated.

It's in the Tomcat docs. Really. Start here:

<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/index.html>

End of Question ---- A side note:

And if some of the "lingo" is confusing, you may just want to take the
time to read (or at least skim) the Servlet Spec.

The best directions on changing your car's timing belt do assume a
certainly familiarity with hand tools and internal combustion engines...

FWIW!
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]