We're using the latest jdk 1.5 release (the server version of the JVM) and
currently do have the heap min/max set to 1024 . I'll try the other jvm
options related to GC. I know we tried -Xincgc to no effect.

 We are indeed seeing OutofMemoryExceptions, but at this point the app has
a few other problems, that I don't believe are related to the compression,
so the logfiles are pretty confusing (and the app is catching most
Exceptions, and only printing the message of the exception, not the
stacktrace).  What is stumping me a bit is that Tomcat flat out dies with
no conclusive messages in the logs. My best theory so far is that the Gzip
filter I mentioned below may be allocating at least 4 objects, each with a
copy of the entire (compressed) response. Each request is grabbing 100K
increments of a larger file, but the files can get somewhat large (2-3M)
The filter is basically a SerlvetOutputStream that passes all the writes
to the GZIPOutputStream which is wrapping a ByteArrayOutputStream. When
the ServletOutputStream is closed, it gets the byte array from the
ByteArrayOutputStream, converts it to a String, and writes it to the
original HttpResponse. This is probably running down the free memory in
the JVM pretty quickly, causing the gc to run not only frequently while
the server is under heavy strain, but also each time it is freeing up alot
of memory.

That's why I'm very curious to find out in greater detail exactly how the
"compress" option is working. I'll take a look at the code again as well,
but if anyone has any experience using the filter from the O'Reilly  book
(this is the second time I've seen it used in apps), and in particular how
the Tomcat implementation behaves, I'd greatly appreciate it.

"Derrick Koes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
09/09/2006 08:10 AM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Question about the "compress" setting MIME-Version: 1.0

Sounds like a bandwidth/throughput problem if you are concerned with the
connector compression attribute.  You may want to try some performance
tuning with the throughput garbage collector.

Assuming your problem is an OutOfMemory Error and at least Java 1.4.1,
try the following VM settings
-Xmn=1024m
-Xmx=1024m
-XX:+AggressiveHeap
-XX:+UseParallelGC
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Below is reference documentation.

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/1.4.2_whitepaper.html

If you still have memory problems, try a memory profiler like Jprofiler
to detect memory leaks as well as CPU issues.
http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/overview.html

It would be helpful if you posted any errors in the log files when you
incur the issue.