META-INF is if you pack your web app to be a .war file. Create the file in conf/Catalina/localhost but name it after the webapp. If your webapp is in the folder foo in the webapps directory, the file would be foo.xml. Also be sure your instructions are for tomcat 5.5 as the way the JNDI resource definition is written is different from previous versions.

-David

Darren Hall wrote:
Hi all.

I'm using Oracle 10g with Tomcat 5.5 and Struts 1.2.9.

I'd like to set up connection pooling for my application. I've read the
Tomcat "HOW-TO" on setting up a JNDI Datasource for connection pooling, but
one thing confuses me - In the how-to, it states "Configure the JNDI
DataSource in Tomcat by adding a declaration for your resource to
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml.

Add this in between the </Context> tag of the examples context and the
</Host> tag closing the localhost definition. If there is no such tag, you
can add one as illustrated in the Context and Host configuration
references..." However, in "The Context Container" documentation referenced
in the above article it states "Please note that for tomcat 5, unlike tomcat
4.x, it is NOT recommended to place <Context> elements directly in the
server.xml file. Instead, put them in the META-INF/context.xml directory of
your WAR file or the conf directory" So where do I place this <Context>
element containing my resource that describes the datasource?

Thanks,

Darren

--
David Smith