I don't suppose that on the Tomcat site there is a Type 4 database driver , which I have read is the preferred driver to get because it is pure Java, is there instead of the 1 which I assume I can always get at java.sun.com?

Sameer Acharya wrote:

You can configure a tomcat datasource to get a
connection or you can load your database driver and
get a connection object.

The advantage with using tomcat datasource is that it
will handle connection pooling for you.

The tomcat docs explain how to define a datasource
(you have to do it in context.xml) , also you will
need the JDBC drivers for whatever database you are
connecting to.
-Sameer

--- Steve R Burrus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all. I am an admitted newbie when it comes to
using a database connection for a servlet to access. So can someone please tell me the basics about how exactly I should go about doing this?? I have been very much "stumped" about how I should do this for quite a long time now! I just know that I should use 1 of 3 getConnection( ) methods to start to do this and create a Connection object but little
else.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]