Hello,

looks like the docs I gave a link to describe the old approach, sorry.
Here is what I have in my context.xml:

######
<!-- The contents of this file will be loaded for each web application -->
<Context path="" docBase="/export/home/andrews/dev/unfas/web"
debug="1" reloadable="true">

   <!-- Default set of monitored resources -->

<Resource name="jdbc/unfasHB" auth="Container" scope="Shareable"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
           factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/unfas?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=UTF-8&amp;characterSetResults=UTF-8"
           driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
           username="andrews"
           password="xxx"
           maxIdle="5"
           maxActive="50"
           autoReconnect="true"
   />
</Context>
#####

also, the format of <Resource> has been changed. Now, all
configuration data should be provided as attributes and not nested
tags.

Regards,
Andrew Stepanenko,
http://unf.tane.edu.ua

On 9/23/06, Alan Chandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday 23 September 2006 09:57, Andrew Stepanenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there is a difference between how resources are defined in 5.0 and
> 5.5. In 5.0 you could provide your resource definitions right in the
> server.xml, but in 5.5 you need to create a separate context.xml file
> ($CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/<hostname>/context.xml) and put resource
> definitions there.
> See this link:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
>
> I also had this problem when migrating from 5.0 to 5.5. After I
> defined a separate context.xml it started to work again.

The docs seem very vague on this issue,  but it does imply that I could still
use $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml

One question that isn't answered in the docs is what the root element should
be - the best seems to be the example for accessing a database, and even
there it puts <Context ...>

I tried with context.xml in the directory you mentioned and it said it
couldn't find the webapp "context", so I renamed it to my application and
tried again.  But it didn't work.

So still stumped

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Andrew Stepanenko,
Ph.D. student,
Dept. of Information Computing Systems and Control,
Web: http://www.tanet.edu.te.ua/icsc/
Software engineer,
Ukrainian-Dutch Faculty of Economics and Management
Ternopil State Economic University
Shevchenko Street 9, Office 24-25
Ternopil, 46000 UKRAINE
Tel: +38 (0352) 43 52 41