From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 2:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: How set a default context

> From: Angelov, Rossen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: How set a default context
>
> - a Context that has an empty PATH attribute will become the
> default web application for the virtual host. This definitely
> works on Tomcat 5.5

Definitely not true.  Read the doc:

which states:

"Please note that for tomcat 5, unlike tomcat 4.x, it is NOT recommended
to place <Context> elements directly in the server.xml file.  Instead,
put them in the META-INF/context.xml directory of your WAR file or the
conf directory as described above."

and

"The value of this field [path] must not be set except when statically
defining a Context in server.xml, as it will be infered [sic] from the
filenames used for either the .xml context file or the docBase."

> - DefaultContext element in the Host is the other way to define a
> default context, but this may work only on Tomcat 5.0

The DefaultContext element only specified the set of attributes common
to all contexts; it did not specify what the default application was.
DefaultContext was replaced by the conf/context.xml file quite some time
ago.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

"This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is confidential
and not for third party unauthorized distribution"