A CGI run from tomcat is just like any other exe. It runs outside the JVM sandbox so it may do as much evil (or good) as it wants. If Tomcat is being run as a service. It could be your PATH and other environment variables may not be configured correctly. (Or at all)

-Tim

HALSTEAD SGT WARREN F wrote:
Good Afternoon,

        I am running Tomcat 5 with CGI enabled. I am attempting to use
Net::SMTP to send e-mail, and it works fine from the command line, but
not running as a CGI script. I have scoured the internet and found other
people with this problem, but the derisive answer to their pleas for
help has been "Write it in Java dummy!"

        I do not have that option, and so I must ask if there is some
security function in Tomcat or a workaround, that allows perl CGI
scripts to make a socket connection to port 25 of another server.