Hi Miriam,

We had the same problem here.  Our LDAP authentication was working up to
version 5.5.12 but broke on anything above it.  I finally got it fixed
and I'll show you what we had previously and what we have now.

WORKED WITH 5.5.12 AND BELOW:

          <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"

              debug="99"

              connectionName="uid=xxx,ou=users,dc=bc,dc=com"

              connectionPassword="passwd"

              connectionURL="ldap://ldap.bc.com";

              roleBase=""

              roleName="cn"

              roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"

              roleSubtree="true"

              userPattern="uid={0},ou=users,dc=bc,dc=com"

              userSearch="(uid={0})"

              userSubtree="true"

          />

WORKS WITH LATEST TOMCAT:

           <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"

              debug="99"

              connectionName="uid=xxx,ou=users,dc=bc,dc=com"

              connectionPassword="passwd"

              connectionURL="ldap://ldap.bc.com";

              roleBase="ou=roleBase,dc=bc,dc=com"

              roleName="cn"