Magnus,

Check out Securityfilter:

http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/

I have submitted patches and sample (check the forums) that include the
ability to get access to the IP, etc.

My app currently logs successful and failed login attempts.

As for "logging" the user in... that's not really part of authentication
or authorization, is it? I maintain that logic such as that should not
be in the component that is doing your AAA.

What I have done is create a Filter that checks to see if the user's
session contains my own "user" object. If not, I "log them in" and stick
their user object into the session.

This setup (including Securityfilter) is completely portable across app
servers if you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having to
switch.

-chris