Søren,

> I get a login error when the username or password is wrong but when it
> is correct I get the following error
>
> HTTP Status 408 - The time allowed for the login process has been
> exceeded. If you wish to continue you must either click back twice and
> re-click the link you requested or close and re-open your browser

This might happen if your session isn't found when you try to login.
This might be caused by cookies being disabled, but the session if not
being encoded in your "login" URL (i.e.
"/j_security_check;jsessionid=ABCD...").

Otherwise, there are two possibilities:

1. You really are exceeding the session timeout before logging in
   (unlikely).
2. The session is not being found for some other reason. Maybe you
   have a proxy or load balancer something like that dropping the
   cookie?

-chris