From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:31 AM
Subject: RE: Multiple paths to one application

> From: Peter Neu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: AW: Multiple paths to one application
>
> My problem is that I have parts of my application which are
> restricted and I just want to filter the path requests with
> the httpd server which sits in front of tomcat so that I
> don't to configure any additional realms.

For Tomcat, a realm is a collection of authentication credentials and
the necessary logic to manipulate them - it's not an access control
mechanism.  For that, you use path-based <security-constraint>
declarations in your app's web.xml, as defined in section 12 of the
Servlet spec.  You don't need multiple realms for controlling access to
different parts of an application.

What are you using httpd for?  If it's just for delivering static
content, consider simplifying your life by getting rid of it and using
Tomcat standalone.  Performance is pretty much equivalent, these days.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.