You can use a filter:

/*
 * Copyright (C) 2005 Tim Lucia.
 *
 * This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
 */
package tim.lucia;

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.Filter;
import javax.servlet.FilterChain;
import javax.servlet.FilterConfig;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.ServletRequest;
import javax.servlet.ServletResponse;

import org.apache.commons.logging.Log;

/**
 * J2EE "Filter" to modify responses from the front controller, ensuring
that
 * the encoding of the response is always set consistently.
 *
 * @author tim.lucia
 */
public class EncodingFilter implements Filter
{
    private static final String ENCODING = "UTF-8";
    private String encoding = null;

    /**
     * Container startup notification
     */
    public void init(FilterConfig arg0) throws ServletException
    {
        encoding = arg0.getInitParameter("encoding");
        if (null == encoding) {
                encoding = ENCODING;
        }
    }

    /**
     * Process the container's filter request.
     * @param request - Request object
     * @param response - response object
     * @param chain - next filter in the chain.
     */
    public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
                         FilterChain chain)
        throws IOException, ServletException
    {
        request.setCharacterEncoding(encoding);