K. Chi Bui wrote:
> "When using automatic deployment, the |docBase| defined by an XML
> Context <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html>
> file should be outside of the |appBase| directory. If this is not the
> case difficulties may be experienced deploying the web application or
> the application may be deployed twice."
>
> extracted from: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html

OK. I had forgotten that combination of settings. Be aware that this
is only true when *both* of the following apply:
- you are using automatic deployment
- you place a context.xml file in the appBase

In this case, the war (or directory) referred to in the context.xml
file should not be in the appBase.