Also, if you have been running your site with jsessionids for awhile
then the spiders have your jsessionid urls on their link frontier.
So the spiders will continue to crawl your site for jsession funky
urls even once you've prevented your tomcat from generating
them.  Tomcat strips the jsession part of the url before you get
to test them so this can be hassle.

Try a apache mod_rewrite rule:
  <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule ^(.*)jsession(.*)$  - [R=404]
   </IfModule>

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 5:53 pm, Simon Pink wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It is well noted by Google (and other search engines) that they do not like
> session tracking info as part of the URL. This does include JSessionId, and
> because Google visits your site as a cookieless user, every page indexed by
> them includes JSessionId, this is bad for numerous reasons - but the main
> reason is that Google may think you are cheating, as they are indexing the
> same page multiple times and it adversely effects your ranking.
>
> It is annoying as Tomcat deals with the URL according to standards, It seems
> to be everything else which doesn't. To be more precise, it is the ';' in
> the URL which servers such as Apache, and search engines and spiders like
> Google don't like much at all. By all rights Google should ignore the
> session id but it doesn't.
>
> Anyway, how do I turn this cookie-less tracking off for Tomcat? I would
> rather have better ranking (and not be banned) than have a minor percent of
> customers not being able to use my site. Or is there another solution that I
> have missed here?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Simon.

Brian Caruso