Grok,

Grok Mogger wrote:
> I'm setting up Tomcat for the first time.  I'm trying to use a simple
> test just to verify that I have everything set up properly, and I was
> hoping someone could confirm for me that I understand what I'm doing.
>
> I'm setting up Apache, mod_jk, and Tomcat on a (Debian) Linux server.

I would eliminate Apache and mod_jk from the equation for the time
being. Once you have everything working with (just) Tomcat, you can
evaluate whether or not to add Apache out front.

> <HTML>
> <BODY>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

The page itself looks fine.

> I have a test page (test.jsp) in my Apache www directory.

You probably have the JSP file in the wrong place. You need to put your
JSP files wherever Tomcat expects them to be. When you use Apache httpd
out in front of Tomcat, it merely delegates the request to Tomcat, so
Apache is not really involved in the process of actually running the
JSP, etc.

> I'm coming from a PHP background and might be confused.

Coming from a PHP background, I can certainly understand why you did
what you did. PHP typically runs as a webserver plug-in (mod_php in this
case) and so Apache httpd sort-of manages the invocation of the PHP
processor. Tomcat interacts differently with the web server, which is
why I suggested that you drop that from your setup while you get started.

Exactly what is necessary depends on your version of Tomcat (4.x, 5.0.x,
or 5.5.x), but you might be able to get away with dropping your JSP file
into the "webapps" directory in your Tomcat directory.

Strictly speaking, you should probably create a formal webapp by
creating a subdirectory underneath "webapps" and including a context.xml
file in a WEB-INF subdirectory underneath that. But, just to get going
and convince yourself that "new java.lang.Date()" does, in fact, give
you the current date, you can probably just move your JSP file into the
"webapps" directory and try again.