Here are the steps that I have taken:

1) Download the zip for Tomcat 5.5.20
2) Download the zip for Java SE 1.4 compatibility (5.5.20)
3) Download the zip for the Admin tool (5.5.20)

4) Unzip Tomcat to --> c:\CMA_Dev\Servers\Tomcat
    - Base directory renamed from "apache-tomcat-5.5.20" to "tomcat-5.5.20"

5) Unzip and install compatibility zip file (seems to work fine...tomcat
starts)
6) Unzip admin tool
    - copied "admin" directory and all of its contents to
"c:\CMA_Dev\Servers\Tomcat\tomcat-5.5.20\server\webapps" (same location as
"manager" and "host-manager"
    - copied "admin.xml" to
"c:\CMA_Dev\Servers\Tomcat\tomcat-5.5.20\conf\Catalina\localhost"

7) modified "tomcat-users.xml" to include the following line:
    "<user username="admin" password="admin" roles="standard, manager,
admin" />"

8) Start Tomcat via Eclipse
    - Observe console...no mention of "admin" anywhere

9) Launch the following url "http://localhost:8080"; ... received the Tomcat
initial page
    - Select manager and authenticate with "admin/admin" ... works fine.
    - Note that "/admin" is listed as an application

10) Return to initial tomcat page and select "administration"
    - the following message is reported "Tomcat's administration web
application is no longer installed by default. Download and install the
"admin" package to use it"

This is basically everything I know about the admin application at this
point. I followed the above steps to install the feature ... still cannot
get it to work. The only slight deviation to the process in this post is
that the directory name change I mentioned above caused the unzip to create
a new base directory. I just copied the content to their appropriate places
(i.e. "server\webapps") figuring that this is all that the unzip would have
done anyway. I also manually copied the "admin.xml" to the conf location
mentioned above as well. I'm at a loss to understand what I have missed
here.

Fran