I just tried it with the mod_proxy and mod_proxy_http modules which are
indeed available for Apache 2.0.59, and it works fine connecting to backend
Tomcat web service using the http protocol and port 8080.

I only needed one line in Apache's configuration:

ProxyPass /ohpr/ http://localhost:8080/ohpr/

(where ohpr is the web service context). Much easier to configure!

I'll run some stresstests with this setup tomorrow, as I did with the mod_jk
in recent days, to see how mod_proxy will cope with higher web traffic load.

J.Neuhoff