I know of two built-in methods of storing preferences for a webapp, but need one with characteristics which combine both of them. Using the java Preferences class allows changes to be made while the app is running, but AFAICS they will apply to all instances of tomcat running on a given machine, since they are based on the class retreiving their values. Putting parameters in the web.xml or server.xml allows different settings for each instance of tomcat running on a given machine, but requires bouncing the server to put changes into effect.

Is there a built-in method of having different settings for each instance of tomcat, but which won't require bouncing tomcat to put the changes into effect? I know I could roll my own with a disk file (like a windows .ini file), but would rather not have to do that if I can avoid it.

Thanks!
Dave