If you are spawning threads from your servlet, make sure that they are
cleaned up when
the servlet is destroyed.  Otherwise, you will have a thread leak.  I have
ran into this problem
when the webapp is reloaded without restarting the server.  Each leaked
thread has a
reference to its classloader, preventing that classloader from being garbage
collected.
Reload enough time will run the perm space out of memory.

Bill