Greetings:

I am using Tomcat 5.5.20 behind an apache 2.2 mod_proxy. The webapp uses
form authentication.

If I access the webapp directly (http://localhost:8080/mywebapp) the
authentication works and the user is redirected to the homepage.

If I access the webapp behind the proxy (http://mywebapp.localhost) the
authentication works but loops through the authentication process
infinitely until the server times out.

I have debugging enabled for the authentication process and I see in the
logs that the user passes authentication and the principal and role are
created. The log statements are repeated about 10 times and then in the
browser I get a server timeout message instead of being redirected to the
homepage.

Here are the apache2 proxy directives:
ServerName mywebapp.localhost
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPass / http://localhost:8082/mywebapp/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8082/mywebapp/
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8082/mywebapp/$1 [P,L]

Here is the connector element in the server.xml
<Connector port="8082" maxThreads="300" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
connectionTimeout="20000" proxyPort="80" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before with their application? Will
switching to a mod_jk proxy change this behavior? Thanks for any insight
you might have about this.

Thanks.
Bill.