Here's a snippet of my web.xml that shows the filter:

  <servlet>
      <servlet-name>ReqMgr</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>infoIsland.ReqMgr</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
      <servlet-name>ReqMgr</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/members/servlet/ReqMgr</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <!-- Filters Here -->
  <filter>
    <filter-name>CheckUser</filter-name>
    <filter-class>infoIsland.CheckUser</filter-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>loginPage</param-name>
      <param-value>/login.jsp</param-value>
    </init-param>
  </filter>
  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>CheckUser</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/members/*</url-pattern>
  </filter-mapping>

Interesting, though, the filter is AFTER the servlet.  Does that mean tomcat
is finding them?

However, it all works when the classes are exploded, filters, servlets, & all.

I've tried the jar -tvf, and it works OK.  In fact, I just jar 'em up right
from the WEB-INF/classes directory, move 'em over to lib, and delete the
directories underneath classes.  That's the way I produce the jar.  Is there
something supposed to be in it that I'm missing?