Markus Schönhaber wrote:
Tom Robinson wrote:

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

Just a WAG: maybe it's not really a permisson problem but the
tomcat-users.xml that is somehow corrupt. If you post it's content here,
we can take a look and see if we spot something obviously wrong.
Yes, it's far fetched, but I'm out of ideas.
Since I'm all out of ideas myself:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
   <role rolename="manager"/>
   <role rolename="admin"/>
   <user username="manager" password="secret" roles="manager,admin"/>
</tomcat-users>

No, there's nothing wrong with this. So, my WAG was just that: a WAG.
Sorry.

Regards
  mks

I still don't know what the problem is.

I've re-installed tomcat5 and the manager webapp but continually get the IOException on tomcat-users.xml.new. :-/

Well, in all reality, it was only a temporary solution. I've switched to a org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm and have users assigned to the manager role in LDAP. This works just fine and is probably a bit more secure.

Thanks to all for your help.

t.