Excuse the naivety but I thought you couldn't open a socket with J2EE.
I was told (I think on this list) that you need to use a JCA to make
the connection.

If this is true I want to know about this. I am so far under the impression if you needed to connect with another protocol in a servlet you could in essence (Worst case scenario) "write a server" inside a servlet using sockets. But that would require you write all the code to handle aborting startup/shutdown thread management etc etc. If I can have a "tweaked" protocol servlet as part of a multi-servlet application this would make a perfect model for the "gateway" type of application between HTTP and a non (exactly) HTTP protocol we are trying to support.

Can you "write a server" inside a servlet ??
PK

At 06:46 2/28/2007, you wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:36:03 +0100
Georg Sauer-Limbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you don't want to deal with HTTP, you should
> not use the Servlet API (which is the Java
> abstraction of HTTP) at all. You can do the
> indicated code with generic sockets, no need to
> mind about Servlets altogether.

Regards
Wayne