Ok cool.. I just had  a round with our umask and groups being setup
incorrectly. just a mess.

On 3/6/07, stevethames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the input, Dan.

Actually, I am aware of how permissions.  The question is how to set
permissions, owner, group on a log file created by FileAppender when it
actually creates the log file.

For the moment, I have solved the problem by using a separate log file for
tomcat.

Daniel Stephens wrote:

> If they are all the same group, then I would suggest just setting the
> umask
> to 022 or 027.. But let me say I'm not a Unix admin and I'm not a 100%
> sure
> of all the down falls here. I do know that 022 will work I've done some
> things with my source code, and others in my group not able to "write"
> it, but they needed to. I'm attaching this link, so you can check out
some
> of that settings. Sorry if your already familiar with these Admin
> concepts..
>

> http://snap.nlc.dcccd.edu/reference/sysadmin/julian/ch18/395-398.html
>
> On 3/2/07, stevethames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Dan. Thanks for responding.
>>
>> Yes, that's true, the file is owned by the tomcat user.  My mod_perl
>> stuff
>> runs under "apache" (the httpd user) and I have some Perl daemons that
>> run
>> as root.  In Perl, using log4perl, I can set the owner, group, and
umask
>> of
>> the log file for file creation.  I have a reason for keeping the user
IDs