To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 11:12 PM
Subject: tomcat-users.xml config in tomcat 6

This is probably something very dumb on my part (: but, when I try to use the manager app in a fresh tomcat 6 install, i get the following message.

"You are not authorized to view this page. If you have not changed any configuration files, please examine the file conf/tomcat-users.xml in your installation. That file will contain the credentials to let you use this webapp."

It then tells me to put:

<role rolename="manager"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager"/>

In tomcat-users.xml (I had already put something in there). And it didn't really fix it. There are no errors in the logs directory. I cannot work out the problem and google was no help on this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jacob