Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: Andrew Miehs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [OT]Re: Is better one or more Tomcat instances per machine

The user space is the amount of RAM you as a process can allocate for this single process.

No - RAM has nothing to do with the split.  Process memory is the amount
of virtual space allocated to the user; the OS may choose to use much
less RAM behind that virtual space.  Page thrashing may occur, but the
process still gets to play with what it thinks is 2GB of "memory".

This is because there needs to be some way for your process
to interact with the hardware and kernel.

The global and local descriptor tables and the page directories/tables
provide the translation between virtual space and RAM.  There need not
be any split between user space and kernel space, but it's useually more
efficient to create such a boundary.

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.