James Javaman wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to setup a build.xml file for a servlet.  I am using the
following 2 URL's as references:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Executing%20Manager%20Commands%20With%20Ant

http://www.onjava.com/onjava/2003/01/08/examples/build.xml.html

So my problem is I don't understand how day-to-day development would work
using this build.xml file. For example, let's say I change some code that
will run on the servlet in a file called: MyServlet.java.
What series of ant commands would I run to reflect the change? Would it be:
ant undeploy
ant deploy
ant gui

I'm just asking because it seems like 'ant undeploy' and 'ant deploy' are
time-consuming to run if all I'm changing is one file. I kind of confused on how 'ant reload' is supposed to be used in the context of these files. I guess for 'ant reload' I would have to manually copy the output of javac to the tomcat folder? Does anyone have a more elegant build.xml file (or have
a suggestion for creating one.)

Thank you very much. A solution to this problem will no doubt save me a lot
of development time.

ant reload simply reloads a web application. Therefore, if you update MyFile.java and compile it to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/myWebApp/WEB-INF/classes/MyFile.class, you can call ant reload on that specific web application to reload the web application so your changes take effect.

Dan