---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:55:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Requesting files with non-English/international characters in
their names

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. My comments are below:

Thomas,

Thomas Peter Berntsen wrote:
> I have some trouble getting Tomcat to return files with
> non-English/international characters in their names.

It's interesting how questions like this come in waves.

> I have tried setting 'URIEncoding="UTF-8"' in the port 8080 connector,
> but without success.

Are you serving your pages in UTF-8 encoding? Usually, the browser uses
the response encoding from the previous request to submit the next
request's URI. If you are using ISO-8859-1 for your web pages, then
expecting the browser to use UTF-8 for the URIs in incorrect.

Thanks. I'll check that. But isn't that irrelevant in the case that I
just request a directory listing through a URL like:
"localhost:8080/test"? Or irrelevant in the case I request a file
directly through a URL like: "localhost:8080/æøå.gif"?

I mean, it's not that I access a webapp's jsp file first through the
browser. Or do I need to look for Tomcat's own jsp files (used to
provide the view for the directory listing) and edit those to use
UTF-8?

Just to be sure I edited the index.jsp of the ROOT app in which I have
created the "æøå.gif" file and changed the encoding to UTF-8, but with
no different result.

Basically, you have to make sure that everything is using UTF-8, and it
should all start to work. If you are missing one piece of the puzzle,
you can always find something that doesn't work.

Check:
- - Your web page response encoding.
- - Any forms with overridden encoding.
- - Your <Connector> (which you already mentioned).

... and make sure that everything is using UTF-8. Next, verify that it
is set up properly by requesting a page and then examining the request
using your browser. I believe that most popular browsers today will
display the character encoding being used to render the page if you view
the "page properties" or whatever the proper term is in your browser.

Thanks for your help until now.

Cheers,
Thomas