Is there an open source JRE?

On 3/21/07, Caldarale, Charles R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: Jeff Sadowski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [OT] apache-tomcat on an ia64 rhel4?
>
> Yeah I was reading about this on the jikes sight I guess I need jdk?

Actually, just a JRE for the current versions of Tomcat.  5.0 and below
required a JDK.

> I should be able to get this from any platform's binary distribution

No, you have to use a JRE built for Linux.

> and copy the classpath files
> they should be compiled into bite code right?

A JRE consists of much more than class files; the core of the JVM
(object allocation, garbage collection, byte code execution, etc.) is
written in C and C++ (plus a smidgen of assembler); the JRE API handlers
that interface with the system are typically written in C.
Consequently, you must have a JRE that has been built for your specific
platform.

> Is this what you meant Charles by getting the x86 version?

Yes, assuming your OS supports some form of IA32 compatibility mode.

> and then compile jikes to use it?

This has nothing to do with Jikes - it's not needed.  The 5.5 and above
versions of Tomcat come with a built-in JSP and Java compiler.

> 1. Get a JDK for any platform copy the stuff from the classpath into a
> tarball then install that on the server.

No - download and install a real JRE for Linux from the vendor of your
choice.  (If you're running Red Hat, I would expect them to have one
available.)

> 2. download and install jikes on the server setup the environment
> variable CLASSPATH to point to the directory created above.

No - none of this has anything to do with Jikes.

> 3. Install tomcat?

Yes, version 5.5 or above.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.