This is like one of those choice questions. As other mentioned, you can rename
css file to jsp file and use custom jsp tags. Personally I would not use it
because I use dreamweaver when I design page. So I need preview while working
on css. Also I would like to make css code clean as well. Anyway that's just
me. Also if there are separate developers and designers in the team, designers
will find themselves comfortable with this approach as they can use their
design tool nicely and would save their time. Developers will also get happy as
they see less questions/bugs from designers.

As you have pointed out, redirect might cause interference with other
application. To avoid that, you might have to put style, images, script, etc.
in separate folder called "assets" or something. This way your design elements
or extra files will be only in "assets" folder and your main web application
structure will remain unchanged. Now you might have two images folder, one in
your webapp as well as one inside "assets". Those two folder serve different
purpose. The one that is inside "assets" will only serve images that used by
style and has only design meaning. Now the "images" folder on main webapp has
images which have business meaning. For example, if you are selling some
product, it has product images, etc.

To me, it's just one decision which has to made. There are pros and cons of
that but we we have to accept both.

Regards,
Dhaval