On 3/30/07, Will Glass-Husain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just concluded a frustrating debugging session in which a servlet
was throwing a ServletException in the init method.

How do you know that the Servlet was throwing an Exception in the init method ?

No error messages
in any log file.  (tomcat\logs\*) The localhost log file was empty.
There was some various items in the stdout and the catalina log file.
None mentioned the problematic servlet.

Is the web.xml present for this project? Does the web.xml have the
Servlet name and URL pattern defined? I temporarily disabled web.xml
and tried to access the Servlet -- it gave a 404 error and nothing
else was logged in catalina out or the console (this is expected
behavior).

Anyway, I tried a small test, and I was able to see an Exception
message both on the web page for this Servlet and in catalina log
file.

package test61;

import javax.servlet.*;

public class TestServlet extends HttpServlet {

       try {
           int test = 5;
           int divideByZeroError = test / 0;
       } catch (Exception e) {
           throw new ServletException("Divide By Zero Exception in
init method: ", e);
       }
   }

response) throws ServletException {
       doPost(request, response);
   }

   public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response) throws ServletException {
       //nothing
   }
}

The above was tested on Tomcat 6.0.x ZIP install (not Windows Service)
on Windows XP , with full JDK (not JRE)

-Rashmi