Hi,

Thanks for the response.

To get these adjustments, do I need to download tomcat from a subversion (or CVS) repository?

I was also just discovered that in the 6.0.10 version that an exception in the END event causes the END event to called again; this means that an uncaught RuntimeException could potentially cause Tomcat to go into a loop of an infinite number of END events.

The reason I need to be able to throw an exception in the BEGIN event is because each request belongs to a certain client. I already know which client it belongs to from the http headers. If the client has timed out or does not exist on the server, the request is invalid. Thus I don't have to wait for a READ event to throw the error.

Another reason that I need to be able to throw the exception in the BEGIN event is because for some requests there is no input, only output, so I might never actually get a READ event (GET requests for long pieces of data for example). However I do want to write output to the client as it comes in (which is why I need Comet) and it's not a file, it is a dynamically generated stream, making the standard servlet (serivce method) approach infeasable from a scalability point of view.

Does this make sense or am I going about it the wrong way?

Regards,
Sebastiaan

Rémy Maucherat wrote:
I have made some adjustments.

An exception there should produce an error report, and a sendError
should do the same. However, an event.close should simply end the
processing of the request without any change of the response state
(which will be whatever was set in the servlet).

Note: the purpose of begin is to setup any data structures to track
the future events on the connection, so you're not really supposed to
throw exceptions while processing that.

Rémy