On 4/3/07, Frank W. Zammetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I actually do have the JDK installed, my bad for not stating that
clearly...

If you have the full JDK installed then please set the JAVA_HOME
environment variable to the JDK's root folder.

Reasoning: If you look in catalina.bat , it says

JAVA_HOME       Must point at your Java Development Kit installation.
                          Required to run the with the "debug" argument.

I wonder if I have to specify
JRE_HOME anyway?

You can delete the JRE_HOME env variable, it defaults to JAVA_HOME if absent.

so I kind of doubt that's
it.

I don't know much about Filters, but you may want to set the
debug="true" on the Context, just to see if you get more user-friendly
exception messages in the log files. Usually the log files contain
additional messages that give additional clues.

FYI, I am in fact using the directory structure Tomcat had by default,
which is CATALINA_HOME/lib, and servlet-api.jar is in there... I just
tried creating CATALINA_HOME/common/lib because all the documentation I
found online talks about that directory, and while I figured it was just
documentation not having been updated for the latest version, I figured it
was worth a try.

I think it will be a while before the documents catch-up. I have
Tomcat 6.0.1 , and everything is as it came with the default install -
I have a few projects , I don't use Filters but I don't get any other
exception message so far.

As another fact mixed in: I tried a simple test: I dropped to a command
prompt and just tried to compile a simple filter on its own... it failed
because none of the servlet API classes were in the classpath.  This is
good because it proves I don't have a servlet.jar floating around in the
system classpath (I was still hoping the FAQ entry about a stray
servlet-api.jar floating around might be right, but that would seem to
indicate pretty strongly it isn't).

It is better to carefully examine the system wide classpath and remove
unnecessary paths, if possible temporarily remove the classpath and
see if the Filter classes could be located.

An incomplete or incorrect system classpath does cause problems, it's
better to not set the system wide classpath.

-Rashmi