On Wed, Apr 4, 2007 14:32, Mike Cossaboon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am running Tomcat 5.5.17 on Solaris 10 with Perl 5.8.4 installed. I start my perl cgis with:

#!/usr/bin/perl -T

The -T is for Taint mode which I do to make the cgis more secure. With a -T option, the web page is displayed with no text from my print statements. If I remove the -T the perl cgis work fine. I would like to keep the -T option. Is there a way to configure Tomcat to accept Taint mode perl cgis?

The problem is almost certainly not with Tomcat. What is likely happening is that the Perl interpreter is exiting with a fatal error when the CGI you are trying to run tries to do something insecure. (This error would usually be sent to your CGI's STDERR filehandle as plain text). The solution is to either rewrite the insecure code in the CGI to make it secure, or to tell Perl that it is OK to for the code to perform potentially insecure operatings by *not* running the CGI in Taint mode.

The essential point to keep in mind is this: -T does not make your CGIs more secure, it just terminates your CGI if it tries to do any of the bad things that "-T" checks for.

For more information, see http://perldoc.perl.org/perlsec.html

               Mark Montague
               ITCS Web/Database Production Team
               The University of Michigan