Hi... I'm often wrong...

The one is a command line option the other is an environment variable.

ie tomcat5 ++JvmOptions="blah blah"
On windows those params will get stuck in the registry.... which immediately asks the question what happens on linux.... I dont know, but it makes me think that JvmOptions has a lot to do with a windows service.

Inside a Java program one can get at parameters with
java.util.Properties properties = System.getProperties();

And these can be set in a number of ways...

Either from another program... in code ie setProperty(blah blah)
or
java -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 -jar MyProgram.jar    ie on the command line
or
set (export) JAVA_OPTS=-Dname1=value1 -Dname2=value2 ... ie from environment variables for tomcat.

If given a choice, I would use JAVA_OPTS... its Java, and definitely ports to linux.
For example type
java -X
it will give you all the options for setting memory in jre
All those parameters can be set in JAVA_OPTS but I'm not sure if they make sense on the command line with JvmOptions and even then I think all that happens is the service program reads it from the windows registry and sets JAVA_OPTS.

Maybe that helps.... Maybe Turk can give us more info... I think he wrote the windows service module...

Regards

----- Original Message ----- From: "legolas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>