>From the control panel. If I go to the system properties and look at the
>environment variables I have the following: (I do not have a JRE_HOME defined)

  CATALINA_HOME=c:\apache-tomcat
JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.5.0  Path=C:\jdk1.5.0\bin;%ANT_HOME%\bin

  There is a CLASSPATH variable set as:

  .;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

  My jdk is installed to c:\jdk1.5.0 and my tomcat is installed at
c:\apache-tomcat as is stated in the environment variables.

  I did a fresh install of Tomcat 5.5.23 (I had not had it installed
previously). Everything was working fins until I tried to create a listener. My
code is deployed to c:\apache-tomcat\webapps\fs with all class files in
WEB-INF\classes. I also have 1 jar file that I have utility classes in
c:\apache-tomcat\common\lib\mvpUtils.jar.

  If the listener is in the catalina.jar file, and the jar file is in the
c:\apache-tomcat\server\lib\ directory. Which, as you say, should already
include any jars in that directory, how could it fail finding the class?

Rashmi Rubdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I tried your code, it didn't capture any event but Tomcat didn't throw
any errors.

Typically the error > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError occurs when a
system wide classpath is incorrectly set or partially set.

Actually there's no need to set a system wide classpath. Tomcat 5.5.x
auto detects it.

The only things you need to set are CATALINA_HOME
and JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME , don't add any of Tomcat's JAR files in the
system classpath, that should solve the Tomcat startup error, if you
are using a fresh startup.bat (that comes with a fresh Tomcat
download).

-Rashmi