there are 2 places you can configure the connection pooling
at global and at local. for your case its global. yes it is at
server.xmlbut you have to put an entry at
context.xml so that the web.xml recognise it

example
 <GlobalNamingResources>

   <!-- Test entry for demonstration purposes -->
   <Environment value="30" type="java.lang.Integer" name="simpleValue" />

   <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
        UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->
   <Resource pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" description="User database
that can be updated and saved" auth="Container" type="
org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase" name="UserDatabase" factory="
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory" />
   <Resource auth="Container"
         description="DB Connection"
         driverClass="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
         maxPoolSize="100"
         minPoolSize="1"
         acquireIncrement="1"
         name="jdbc/Standard"
         user="****"
         password="*******"
         factory="org.apache.naming.factory.BeanFactory"
         type="com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource"
         jdbcUrl="jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/test?autoReconnect=true" />
 </GlobalNamingResources>

the following entry should be available at context.xml (global or local you
choose)
   <ResourceLink
         name="jdbc/Standard"
         global="jdbc/Standard"
         type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

then you can put this at your app web.xml
   <resource-ref>
       <description>DB Connection</description>
       <res-ref-name>jdbc/Standard</res-ref-name>
       <res-type>
           javax.sql.DataSource
       </res-type>
       <res-auth>Container</res-auth>